UN BE- LIEV- ABLE

UN BE- LIEV- ABLE
WHATTTTT???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, November 10, 2008

short response to Welfare bashing

Back in 1986, I returned from Keflavik Icelend. I was living and Working on the Naval base as a (god i hate this term) Dependant wife of an active duty member! ( I had also done my time in the service previous to having moved to Iceland. I was in the Marines then the Navy.) Anyway, I returned because my husband at the time Kidnapped our son and hid him some where near Chicago. The idiots that he worked with had helped him. (and don't think those idiots didn't pay a big price (isolated duty transfer) for giving this assistance) But no matter the short of it all was, returning to this country (no cost to fly back to the US, had to pay my own way to get back to my home state of Massachusetts) Broke. Had to find my son, get him back from that soon to be Xhusband, get Massachusetts to take Jurisdiction of the matter, during a time when most states were not sure if the 1968 uniform child custody act covered parental kidnapping especially if the act happened while the parents were still legally married and or if the act occurred outside of the United States. I also was just plain crazy and had I physically been present when my soon to be X returned to the base without our only child, I would have killed him without hesitation. The wonderful Doctors at the Naval Hospital tried to dope me up on several shots of Valium!!! Didn't come close to relieving the madness that had taken over my whole being. Anyway getting back to the whole point of this post. When I was in the service and working for the Feds earning well over 50,000.00 a year. Never saving a cent (spent all on spoiling child....lessons learned later) I voted for Regan!!! Then I returned to this country and had reality jump up and bite me in the ASS! No money, one sister in area in a abusive marriage without hope of getting out because he had all control over the money. (snorting it all up his nose!) I really had to change my get "get a JOB you Welfare Pig" attitude. I myself ended up applying for housing, Got a job, got fired because finding my son was interfering with working, ended up collecting unemployment. Had to support my sister and her two young boys, help her out of that abusive marriage, get my son back, and took a big social stand on Woman and Children living in Poverty. Spoke out publicly about the Welfare trap, the financial disparity between husband and wife when divorce happens. Testified on Beacon hill about Dead Beat PARENTS!!!! And let me tell those of you that think the majority of people on Welfare want to stay there! You are very wrong, I have worked since I was 13 years old, and began paying taxes at 16. I served my country on active duty for just over 6 years from 1977 to 1984. Never in a million years did I ever think I would have to collect welfare or live in low income housing. But that is just what ended up happening from 1986 to 1990. And I was humbled by those events, and I learned some life long lessons that I know i honestly needed to learn. My narrow mind grew and I am better for that. And I am forever grateful that when I needed help such as Welfare, food stamps and low income housing it was there. now this all happened between 1986 to 1990 for me. And socially I see certain economical events that were happening back then happening now. Increase unemployment, increase homelessness, increase in the number of families living at or below the Federal Poverty level. There is an increase in domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, and crime. Feels like we are all going back in time. I now live as a middle class family, but I constantly worry about dropping down to just above the poverty level. I have home security, and a decent financial situation that is not at this point affected by the blunders on wall street. But I know there are some things in my life that one cannot predict the financial cost. I still have a 13 year old at home and in school. So I guess the point I am making is that no one should judge another until they have walked a lifetime in their steps.

No comments: